Share Babyortyl

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Week 29, Hiccups, fluids, and the spleen!

Our amazing baby has had hiccups again: a fairly common occurrence at this point resulting from practicing breathing for her big birthday. In addition, to getting a round of hiccups, our little swimmer has arduously managed to accumulate enough baby fat to account for nearly 3.5% of her overall body weight. Yeah, compared to we adults, it’s not a lot, but when they’re little like that—it’s certainly a healthy (and warming) accomplishment in its way. Another fantastic accomplishment: our baby's spleen is now in charge of hematopoiesis—the 10 dollar name for the process involved in building up certain important blood components. Another fantastic-accomplishment: our little monkey has been peeing into their amniotic sac for a little while now and if you didn’t know, actually swallows it along with the rest of the amniotic fluid. Although the concept is nasty, her urine is sterile and as part of the amniotic fluid base, is replaced several times throughout the day. At this point Baby Ortyl's crown-to-rump length is approximately 10.4 inches and her total length is around 16.7 inches, she weighs about 2.7 pounds and continues to grow every day. (The average baby's birth weight at full term is 7 to 7.5 pounds.)

Another good week! I feel good, but changes are more obvious than ever. I had sciatica (pinched nerves in my back) so I've been squatting if I need to get down low, bending is just too hard. I have been going to Prenatal yoga and doing lots of stretching everyday which helps a lot. I mentioned this to my OBGYN on Tuesday and she asked me, "What do you think about massages?" - I was thrilled that this was the medical answer to my aches and pains. Then yesterday to my surprise my Valentine gave a gift certificate to a place called Belly Bliss to get several massages before the Baby comes! I am so excited and thankful! (Thanks Valentine!)Yesterday we spent the day shopping for a glider but didn't have much luck. We can't find anything that looks good, fits us both and is comfy! The other baby news is that the girl has been waking my up around 5:30am. She seems to think that that is a great time to practice the drums, her golf swing and her gymnastics floor routine. That's it she's grounded...I need some sleep! Last, Greg has been talking and singing to the belly. I love it, he talks to her like he's on the phone just chatting away, telling her what we've been up to, singing ABC's to her...I love it. More than once it has made me teary, he is going to be such a great Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment